Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Camper Van Beethoven and Cracker


So, I just saw David Lowery's bands a couple of weeks ago. David Lowery has fronted two great bands, Camper Van Beethoven and Cracker and he's taken them both on tour this winter - rough night singing for both the opener and the closer! That's got to wear on your voice. However, the show was great and I couldn't tell a thing about the singing and I was listening! I had never seen Camper Van Beethoven, and they blew me and my friend Kenny away. The violinist, Jonathan Segal, was great and really adds an interesting aspect to the music. I didn't know they did so many Russian "polka style" instrumentals - they were great! It's been a long time since I've listened to them, and it was a great show. They played the obligatory classics, "Pictures of Matchstick Men" and "Take the Skinheads Bowling" - which got the crowd going.
Cracker was great too and really rocked - Johnny Hickman was wailing on guitar and they did a ton of their classics like "Low", "Get Off This", and Eurotrash Girl. However, I was missing songs from my favorite album "Gentleman's Blues". Now there is a kick-a$$ rock album all the way through. If you don't have it, get it and play it. That's rock and roll. But Cracker has a pretty extensive catalog and that album didn't chart so well, so that's what happens. Got to see a band on every tour if you want songs from every album.
Whew...I've got some work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment