Monday, November 2, 2009

The Allman Brothers and Widespread Panic




Working backwards now, one of the more recent shows that I saw was the Allman Brothers, for the second time this year, (first time at the Beacon in NYC) and Widespread Panic, for the first time ever, at Merriweather Post Pavilion. I have tried to see Widespread Panic about five times and it has fallen through every time for one reason or another. I have a particular irritation every time I think about a show I missed in 2000 where Widespread Panic and Moe both played full double sets. TWO FULL DOUBLE SETS. Anyway, at this show both W.P. and A.B. played full sets, so the show started early, and the "hippie" contingent was in full force - making it quite a different show from the last show I saw at Merriweather, Jane's Addiction and Nine Inch Nails. ...a little more anger at that show, but it was great to see Jane's.
Widespread Panic was absolutely awesome, doing "Southbound" and "I Walk on Gilded Splinters", but no "Airplane"; I was hoping for too much there. Warren Haynes from Gov't Mule, the Allman Brothers, and also the Dead nowadays, came out and played one song with them, and that was just unbelievable.
The Allman Brothers did a few classics such as One Way Out and Melissa, which was great to hear. Susan Tedeschi came out and played with them as well, as she's on the tour with Derek Trucks, her husband. She is phenomenal and a great blues singer guitarist in her own right. And when she's jamming with Derek and Warren at the same time, it is powerful. Though, also quite brilliant to hear her sing "Don't Think Twice" the Bob Dylan song, an aching reflection on a failed relationship...
The whole concert was fantastic and makes me vaguely understand why people consider having no job and just following jam bands around...
I like the one picture here where Jimmy Herring, Widespread Panic's current guitarist, is obviously enjoying Tedeschi's playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment