Friday, October 23, 2009

I just heard “Trouble Me” from 10,000 Maniacs on my XM radio. That song takes me back to walking between barracks to get to my stepfather’s office in Heidelberg after high school when I lived in Germany. I bought Blind Man’s Zoo when it came out and used to listen to that one on my Walkman. Anybody my age that knew about 10,000 Maniacs and did not have a crush on Natalie Merchant back then was not paying attention. She was like this beautiful soulful goddess with a voice that was just too good to be true…When I was 18, the summer of ’88, we flew back to the States and visited my stepfather’s family in Jamestown, NY. Which just happened to be the hometown of 10,000 Maniacs. Blind Man’s Zoo and “Trouble Me” were on MTV and all over the airwaves at that point and I had no idea until I saw the banners everywhere in that little town celebrating 10,000 Maniacs’ success. Very cool. Memories and flashbacks built on powerful music from one's past is almost always a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment